By Peter C. Herman
- Written in a transparent and available variety for an undergraduate point audience
- Gives an outline of the period’s background in addition to an knowing of the historiographic issues
- Explores key historic and literary occasions, from the Wars of the Roses to the booklet of John Milton’s Paradise Regained
- Features extensive reasons of keywords and ideas, reminiscent of absolutism and the Elizabethan Settlement
Read or Download A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
Cervantes in Seventeenth-century England garners good over one thousand English references to Cervantes and his works, therefore delivering the fullest and such a lot fascinating early English photo ever made up of the writings of Spain's maximum author. in addition to references to the 19 books of Cervantes's prose on hand to seventeenth-century English readers (including 4 little-known abridgments), this new quantity comprises entries by means of such outstanding writers as BenJonson, John Fletcher, William Wycherley, Aphra Behn, Thomas Hobbes, John Dryden, and John Locke, in addition to many lesser-known and nameless writers.
Novelist and cultural commentator C. P. Snow was once a wide and debatable presence in his lifetime yet his paintings has been mostly overlooked because his demise in 1980. this is often the 1st 21st-century booklet to provide a transparent, knowledgeable and sympathetic survey of all his novels and significant non-fiction books and to verify their significance for the realm at the present time.
This publication bargains a entire account of the equipment and perform of studying smooth languages, relatively Italian, in past due 16th - and early 17th - century England. it's the first learn to indicate that there's a primary connection among those language-learning behavior and the innovations for either analyzing and imitating Italian fabrics hired through a number of poets and dramatists, akin to Daniel, Drummond, Marston and Shakespeare, within the related interval.
Because his surprising Academy Award-nominated movie, My attractive Laundrette (1985), Hanif Kureishi has been well-known as an enormous author who has either documented and profoundly prompted modern British tradition. His first novel, The Buddha of Suburbia (1990), is still a key paintings in redefining our experience of what it ability to be English within the postcolonial period.
- Conrad's Secrets
- Jonathan Coe (New British Fiction)
- Humanism and Calvinism: Andrew Melville and the Universities of Scotland, 1560–1625 (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
- Conspiracy Theories in the United States and the Middle East: A Comparative Approach (linguae & litterae)
- Literature, Gender and Politics During the English Civil War
- The Elizabethan Top Ten: Defining Print Popularity in Early Modern England (Material Readings in Early Modern Culture)
Extra info for A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context
A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context by Peter C. Herman